This program will be pre-recorded and distributed the morning of Thursday, July 19.
This webinar is a must-see program for BSA Officers and their staff, Compliance Officers, Deposit and Branch Operations Officers, and Auditors.
So few pages of actual statutory or regulatory BSA requirements, so many BSA expectations from our regulators and auditors. Many of the lessons learned by banks have been at the expense of other banks at the receiving end of an enforcement action. What would those banks have done differently if given a second chance, and what actions should your bank steer clear of? Many of the functions faulted had been in place for years yet never criticized by an examiner or auditor. This program will address a wide range of topics and is designed to allow BSA personnel to reassess a number of present bank functions or methodologies which might be ticking time bombs. Is having a six month lead time between BSA Risk Assessment and Policy review an issue? Is having a BSA Officer with the initiative to reconfigure the bank’s automated transaction monitoring system applauded or frowned upon? A behavioral based transaction monitoring system is what the examiners expect, isn’t it? Maybe! Specific topics to be discussed are:
- Are there any attributes the party conducting your independent testing should, or should not, possess?
- Are there preferred, or frowned upon, methods of BSA training, or does one size fit all?
- Does BSA department staffing levels drive alert generation methodology or vice versa?
- Is the BSA Risk Assessment the place to air all of the bank’s dirty BSA laundry, as it can be seen by examiners and auditors?
- Is keeping BSA related documentation a positive or negative should the bank find itself the potential subject of an enforcement action?
- Will automating the transaction monitoring system into a behavioral based system both satisfy examiners and generate more suspicious activity alerts, or will it have an unintended affect?
Don’t miss this timely and informative session!
Don Blaine – Senior Vice President & Compliance Director, Nantahala Bank & Trust
Don has over 30 years of experience in banking compliance for banks ranging in size from small community banks to Bank of America. His prior roles have included: Chief Compliance Officer, Senior Compliance Regulatory Examiner, Compliance Audit Manager, among others. He’s well positioned to discuss all sides of the compliance triangle as he has served as a federal compliance examiner and a compliance auditor, in addition to his roles in compliance’s second line of defense at banks. He is considered a subject matter expert in many of the alphabet soup consumer affairs laws and regulations, both on the lending and deposit side of the bank, and also specializes in the BSA. He has taught at the ABA’s National Compliance School and has also served as an instructor on BSA and compliance topics at training programs offered by a number of state banking associations.