Now Virtual! 2020 IRA Workshop
Please note that the safety and health of our members is our top priority. This program has been converted to take place as a webinar.
Registration RatesTotal Program: $805 (Early Bird – 9/30) / $855 (Regular – after 9/30)
Day 1: IRA Essentials Only: $425 (Early Bird – 9/30) / $475 (Regular – after 9/30)
Day 2: Advanced IRAs Only: $425 (Early Bird – 9/30) / $475 (Regular – after 9/30)
Individuals can register for all days as a full package, or can register for any day a la carte. You can view topics for each day on the agenda (link above).
Day 1 – IRA Essentials
You should register for this program if you need to learn the basics of Traditional and Roth IRAs or you want an updated, general refresher on IRA rules.
This session will give attendees a solid foundation of IRA knowledge. Exercises are included throughout the day to help participants apply information to job-related situations. Attendees will leave this session able to work with IRA owners and process basic IRA transactions with confidence. This is a beginner’s session; no previous IRA knowledge is assumed.
Course topics include:
- Introduction and Establishing IRAs
- Identify the tax differences of a Traditional and Roth IRA
- Examine the process for establishing an IRA and the required documents
- Differentiate between the types of beneficiaries
- IRA Funding
- Learn about the Traditional and Roth IRA eligibility requirements
- Identify the contribution limit and deadline
- Communicate contribution reporting deadlines
- IRA Distributions
- Identify federal income tax withholding requirements
- Examine IRS penalties and penalty exceptions
- Summarize the tax consequences of IRA distributions
- Communicate distribution reporting deadlines
- IRA Portability
- Differentiate between a rollover and a transfer
- Recognize rollovers between IRAs and employer-sponsored retirement plans
Day 2 – Advanced IRAs
You should register for this session if you are an IRA administrator, personal banker, or member services personnel who has a working knowledge of basic IRA operations and wishes to expand your expertise and provide enhanced customer service, a compliance specialist, or support personnel responsible for promotional materials.
This portion of the program will build on an attendees’ basic IRA knowledge to address some of the more complex IRA issues that their financial organizations may handle. This is an advanced session, and previous IRA knowledge is assumed. The instructor will use real-world examples to help participants apply information to job-related situations.
Course topics include:
- IRA Update
- Explain recent changes affecting IRA owners
- Discuss the current Roth modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) limits
- Recognize how recent changes may affect your financial organization
- Required Minimum Distributions
- Calculate a required minimum distribution (RMD)
- Discuss the RMD rules and reporting requirements
- Beneficiary Options
- Describe beneficiary distribution options
- Recognize the differences for spouse, nonspouse, and nonperson beneficiaries
- Explain beneficiary payment deadlines
- Advanced Portability
- Summarize the restrictions on the movement between IRAs
- Recognize the options available when moving from an employer-sponsored retirement plan to an IRA
- Explain the result of violating the portability restrictions
- Roth IRA Conversion Contributions
- Describe a conversion
- Explain the effect of withholding on a conversion
- Report a conversion
- Define the consequences of an ineligible conversion
- Withholding and Getting It Right
- List the possible penalties for failing to withhold
- Explain the withholding notice and election requirements
- Discuss how withholding is reported and transmitted to the IRS
- Describe foreign withholding requirements
Check back later for speaker details!